One Country Project Co-Founders Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Donnelly Launch Political Action Committee Focused on Rural Voters
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 7, 2020
One Country Project Co-Founders Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Donnelly
Launch Political Action Committee Focused on Rural Voters
Washington, D.C. – Today, former U.S. Senators and One Country Project co-founders Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Donnelly announced the creation of One Country Fund PAC and unveiled its first ads, which highlight the failures of Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA) and will air from August 7 to August 28 on TV, radio, and online.
“One Country Fund is dedicated to electing Democratic champions for rural America,” said Heidi Heitkamp, the former U.S. Senator for North Dakota. “Despite decades of lip service from Republicans, rural communities continue to suffer higher levels of poverty, food insecurity, restricted access to health care, and lower educational attainment. One Country Fund will support Senate candidates who are committed to fighting for accountability in Washington, rejecting the corruption and cronyism that defines Trumpism, and truly serving the unique needs of rural communities.”
“It is time Democrats make the case to these voters that despite decades of Republican leadership at the federal level, our rural neighbors are being left further and further behind,” said Joe Donnelly, the former U.S. Senator for Indiana. “Republicans have promised to fight for Iowans, but they have done nothing to rein in rising health care costs and turned their back on the corn growers and ethanol producers that power the state’s rural economy. One Country Fund will show that voting red isn’t always what’s best for rural Americans and prioritize outreach to communities that would benefit from a change in leadership.”
One Country Fund’s first ad buy of approximately $1 million will target Sen. Ernst’s weak track record and desire to get ahead even as she left Iowa voters behind. Watch the TV spot here and hear the radio version here.
About One Country Fund
One Country Fund fights to elect champions for rural America. By talking to rural voters and holding President Trump and his collaborators accountable, it provides a Democratic alternative to failed Republican leadership in 2020 and beyond. Learn more at www.OneCountryFund.org.
- Ernst, J. (2018, Nov. 18). Transcript from Face the Nation. (M. Brennan, Interview). Retrieved from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-sen-joni-ernst-on-face-the-nation-nov-18-2018/
- Balisteri, E., Hart, C., et al. (2018). The Impact of the 2018 Trade Disruptions on the Iowa Economy. Iowa State University CARD Policy Brief 18-PB 25.
- Caygle, H., Cheney, K., & Desiderio, A. (2020, June 30). Russian bounty intel opens new rifts on Capitol Hill. Politico. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/30/house-democrats-russia-bounties-white-house-briefing-345276
- “Senate Roll Call Vote 135.” Congressional Record 161, No. 51 (2015) p. S2022.
- “Senate Roll Call Vote 171.” Congressional Record 161, No. 67 (2015) p. S2643.
- “Senate Roll Call Vote 253.” Congressional Record 161, No. 118 (2015) p. S5709.
- Clayworth, J. (2019, February 12). U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst refunds $1,900 illegitimate tax break on D.C. condo; she also took break on Iowa home. Des Moines Register. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/02/11/joni-ernst-refund-illegitimate-homestead-tax-break-d-c-condo-republican-senator-penalty-red-oak-iowa/2837662002/